Cleaning and Maintenance Guide
To keep your Interna products looking their best, please use the following tips when cleaning.
Textiles (natural & synthetic)
Due to the variety of textile materials used in Interna upholstery we recommend that you contact our customer service for information regarding specific textiles. For COM, please refer to the specific cleaning specifications recommended by the textile supplier as listed below.
- Momentum:themomgroup.com, 800.366.6839
- CF Stinson: cfstinson.com, 800.841.6279
- Mayer: mayerfabrics.com,800.428.4415
- LDI: enviroleather.com, 866.332.0700
Leather is a natural product. Texture and color will vary slightly from hide to hide.
- Under normal use, dust or clean with a soft cloth, dampened with water and a very mild non-detergent soap. Do not scrub. Leave to dry naturally, do not use heat to dry the surface. For spots and spills, blot away excess liquid immediately with a soft cloth and use mild soap and water to lift the stain. For butter, oil, or grease, blot excess with a soft, dry cloth and then leave alone. The spill will dissipate into the leather. Surface scratches can be rubbed out with the warmth of the finger or a soft, dry chamois cloth.
- Do not apply water. Leave to dry naturally, do not use heat to dry the surface. In time all leather takes on a patina giving the piece character. Interna recommends contacting a leather care specialist for further information regarding specific stain removal. For COL, please refer to the specific cleaning instructions recommended by the leather supplier.
Solid Wood and Veneer Surfaces
- For normal cleaning, dust frequently with a soft, dry or slightly damp cloth in the direction of the wood grain. After wiping, dry the area thoroughly using a soft cloth.
- Wax, ammonia based cleaners or polish should never be used on catalyzed finishes, they will give a greasy, cloudy or uneven appearance to the product. At no time should any abrasives ever be used in an effort to remove dirt etc., nor should any moisture be allowed to stand on wood surfaces.
- Furniture polishes are not recommended. Should a polish be used for occasional cleaning, use only a non-wax furniture polish that contains no silicone or silicone derivatives. Clean up spills immediately using a blotting action rather than a wiping action.
- Avoid placing furniture in direct sunlight, as sunlight causes fading.
- Avoid extremes in room temperature and humidity as this may cause wood to warp or veneer to split.
- Do not place plastic or rubber objects on wood finish, as their ingredients will react with those of the finish and cause a migration into the wood finish that will appear as a stain. Seek professional advice when repairs are needed.
- Rinse or clean with mild soap or detergent and water solution.
- Do not use harsh or alkaline solutions.
Chrome and Satin Chrome
- Use a water dampened cloth or window cleaner. For scuff marks or stubborn stains, use a non-abrasive automotive chrome polish and apply as directed.
- Clean with a mild soap solution, rinse with water. Buff dry with a clean and dry soft cloth.
- Use a soft cloth, apply a commercial powder, liquid or paste metal cleaner and polish recommended for aluminum. Follow the manufacturer’s directions
Laminates – High Pressure or Solid Core Surfaces
- Clean with a mild soap solution and rinse with water. Wipe the entire surface, moving with the pattern. Dry with a clean soft cloth.
- If no grain direction is visible, rub with a light, circular motion. For minor repair of burns or other stubborn marks, use a non-abrasive liquid kitchen cleaner with a soft cloth soaked in warm water recommended for laminates.
- Do not use powdered abrasives or other harsh cleaners like hypochlorite bleach, hydrogen peroxide, nitric or hydrochloric acid, or lye.
Satin Matte Paint Finish
- For normal cleaning, dust with a soft, slightly damp cloth. Dry area thoroughly.
- Clean with non-abrasive window cleaning solutions. Wipe dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean with non-abrasive solution recommended for granite. Wipe dry with a clean cloth. Apply a granite recommended wax to improve luster and protect finish. Routine maintenance will prevent the stone from darkening due to body oils and will help maintain an evenness of colour. Seek the advice of a professional when unsure of cleaning method.
- Clean using a slightly damp cloth and a mild, cleaning product. Dry with a soft cloth
- Do not use any abrasives or acid detergents
- For regular cleaning, dust with a soft, slightly damp cloth or chamois. Dry or gritty cloths may cause surface scratches and create a static electric charge on the surface
- Recliners, sleepers, tables should be inspected and maintained regularly by tightening screws and bolts, inspecting casters and glides, and inspecting all moving parts for any signs of wear and replace as needed
- Most mechanisms do not require maintenance or adjustment, however, certain springs may gradually lose their initial tension through normal wear and tear. For specific mechanism information, spare parts, accessories etc. please contact Interna
For more information about cleaning and maintenance click here